766million – that’s number of patients reached with Novartis medicines last year alone. You can help guide our Environmental Social Governance (ESG) strategy to further increase the value created for patients, society and Novartis. We are looking for an experienced leader with top strategic and operational skills to help us keep the Novartis ESG strategy best-in-class and to drive further systematic change across the organization. Join our dynamic ESG Sustainability & ESG Office.
To gain long-term value, it is vital that our Environmental Social Governance (ESG) efforts are embedded to ensure systemic change across the organization. This role leads and collaborates with the internal community of ESG experts to develop and drive key initiatives to support the strategy to position Novartis as a trusted leader in the pharmaceutical sector. This is a unique opportunity to shape Novartis Sustainability & ESG strategy and work with senior leaders across the organization to drive impact.
- Drive continued development and refinement of the 5-year sustainability and ESG strategy, establish clear and meaningful targets
- Support strategic “bold moves” sustainability and ESG projects for Novartis Group, the CEO, the Novartis ESG Committee (Executive-level decision body) and ESG Council (the Executive-1 group of leaders for Sustainability and ESG)
- Independently drive and coordinate high profile, company-wide strategic initiatives for key topics in ESG overall, with focus on Environmental Sustainability, Equity, Access and Global Health
- Support the Head Strategy, Sustainability & ESG in defining and driving key ESG initiatives; coordinate and provide strategic guidance to function- or business-led ESG initiatives (e.g., with Global Health, Patient Access, Environmental Sustainability, Diversity & Inclusion, Human Rights, Ethics & Compliance, key Country Management and more)
- Be on the forefront of knowledge in the sustainability and ESG space in the industry; develop scanning and analytics capability to provide analysis on trends and expectations in the external environment; generate strategic insights based on best-in-class analysis, distill outputs and recommendations which enable informed decisions of top-level leaders
- Serve as Secretariat for the ESG Council, the Executive-1 group of leaders for Sustainability and ESG
- Develop annual strategy update on “Build Trust with Society” strategic pillar as part of the annual corporate strategy process to Executive Management and Board
What you'll bring to the role:
- Degree in Business or Life Sciences; MD, PhD or MBA preferred or equivalent on-the-job experience
- Strong knowledge of sustainability and ESG topics (knowledge in one or more of Novartis’ key ESG topics: Equity/Access to Medicines, Environmental Sustainability, Global Health)
- Extensive project and program management experience in strategic projects; management consulting background preferred (equal to engagement manager or associate principal level) or other relevant extensive work experience
- Ability to develop and manage projects with high quality, interact with senior management and lead cross-functional project teams (internal stakeholders and external providers)
- Ability to develop presentations for senior leaders (incl. Executive & Board level), communicate and present clearly and make strategic recommendations
- Ability to navigate a complex matrix environment and to work at all levels of the organization, including executive management
- Strong experience in analyzing data
- High proficiency in English - both written and Oral
- Previous experience in the pharmaceutical industry (industry knowledge required)
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!