Symbiotics is the leading market access platform for impact investing in emerging and frontier markets, offering market research, investment advisory and asset management services. We are regulated by FINMA, the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority and our daughter company Symbiotics (UK) Ltd has an investment firm license from the FCA in the UK. Symbiotics currently employs 160 people and is headquartered in Geneva, with further offices in Zurich, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Mexico City, Singapore, Cape Town, Delhi and Yerevan. Since 2004, we have invested over USD 6.9bn in more than over 500 microfinance institutions across over 90 emerging and frontier markets, working with more than 62 investment funds and many institutional investors.
We are looking for an Associate Investment Analyst to assist the Investment Analysts of the Eastern Europe and Middle East and North Africa and Pakistan regions in the analysis and monitoring of credit risk and country risk for institutions located in the region.
The position is based in our Head Office in Geneva, with reporting line to the Regional Manager. We offer a dynamic work environment in a growing industry and an opportunity to work in the social investment space with a for-profit company. The position offers an opportunity to gradually progress into an Investment Analyst position.
About the Job
- Collect and review information (including financial statements) of existing and prospective investees to enable due diligence and production of investment advisory reports
- Assist in writing follow-up reports on existing investees and countries under his/her coverage
- Update investee accounts for financial performance, analyze operational and financial reports
- Undertake KYC checks of institutions
- Research and monitor country related information required to produce country analysis reports and updates on local legal frameworks
- Co-ordinate and manage client relationships with each institution
We are looking for a person who is organized, mature, and able to work in a dynamic and challenging environment, as well as having entrepreneurial drive, attention to detail and pride in the quality of one's work.
More specifically, we have the following requirements:
- High interest for impact finance and sustainable development, international development or financial inclusion
- Bachelor university degree, preferably in a finance or economics related field
- Comfortable with processing financial data (income statement, balance sheet, cash flows, business plan) and carrying out financial analysis
- Knowledge of financial institutions, agribusinesses, holdings structures, Islamic finance, and/or impact investment an added plus
- Very good capacity to understand and adapt to support clients' needs
- Capacity to handle on-going multiple tasks on a daily basis
- Excellent communication skills and good team player
- Can perform well in a fast-paced environment, and manage competing demands and priorities
- Comfortable to work in an international and multi-cultural workplace
- Willing to travel to emerging markets (2 times a year)
- Able to work comfortably in English. Other languages such as French, Russian and Arabic are a plus
- Swiss/EU National or valid Swiss Work Permit is required
What makes us different?
- The chance to contribute to improving the lives of people in emerging and frontier countries, to work towards supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- A flexible work environment with colleagues from 41 countries
- The opportunity to become part of a growing business that pushes you to excel every day while having a positive impact on others